Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery! The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll aim to ensure that everyone gets a good introduction to some of the basic skills of patchwork and quilting. With the focus on learning by doing, you will make a large half square triangle patchwork block, with a border, which we will then make into a lap quilt measuring just over a metre square.
Here’s what we’ll cover in the class:
- Buying suitable fabrics for patchwork and an introduction to selecting colours and prints
- Learning how to cut fabric units for patchwork safely and accurately using a rotary cutter and cutting mat and quilting rulers
- An introduction to the basics of patchwork – varieties of quilt blocks, joining units accurately, pressing seams etc.
- How to make a quilt sandwich
- An introduction to the basics of quilting
- An introduction to the different batting/wadding options
- How to make you our bias and attach this to your quilt.
As well as going home with your lap quilt, you’ll also have loads of confidence for your next patchwork project.
- Full Tuition
- Full colour pattern booklet
- 505 spray to baste your quilt sandwich together
In addition to the list above you will need to bring a small selection fabric to complete your project as listed below.
This means that you can either choose your own favourites from our extensive range or you can bring fabrics from your stash.
Fabric Requirements :
Fabrics starting from the center of the quilt out to the border
- Fabric 1(center) - 25cm strip
- Fabric 2 - 25cm strip
- Fabric 3 - 30cm strip
- Fabric 4 - 40cm strip
- Fabric 5 - 110cm strip
- Fabric 6 (border) - 50cm strip
- Binding fabric - 50cm strip
- Backing fabric - 1.1 metres
You will also need to bring your own sewing kit (although machines are available to hire if you prefer not to bring your own sewing machine), including thread, pins, a fabric marker, dressmaking scissors and machine needles for your own machine if you are using it. You will also need a rotary cutter and quilting ruler. If you are missing any of this equipment we do have some spares in our workshop room for your convenience.
We are very happy to help with your fabric choices – just come to the shop before your workshop day and we will be pleased to assist.
Tea, coffee and cake will be provided throughout the workshop.
Skills needed - This class is suitable for beginners who are confident with using their sewing machine.
Note - You must be able to thread your machine and sew a consistent straight line.
Workshop Times - 10.00am – 4pm
Please note that as this is a Sunday workshop the shop will open at 9.45am please don't arrive earlier that this as the main archway gates will be locked.
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - 5 Places available
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
Plenty of FREE parking available through the archway.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01782 610 241