Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone gets a good introduction to the basic features of their sewing machine - the class size is kept deliberately small so that everyone will get lots of time and attention.
Here’s what we’ll cover on the day:
- The different parts and features of your sewing machine
- Using a sewing machine safely
- Filling and using a bobbin
- Threading your machine correctly
- Using the presser foot and feed dogs
- Changing the machine needle safely – with information about different needle sizes
- Getting the tension right and adjusting stitch length
- Sewing with straight and zig-zag stitch
- An introduction to measuring and cutting fabric safely using rotary cutters, cutting mats and rulers
With the focus on learning by doing, you will make an A4 fabric pocket pouch, giving you a great sense of achievement and the basic skills to move on to your next sewing adventure. You’ll also receive lots of resources to take home with you and bags of confidence for the future projects.
Please let us know the make of your sewing machine when you are booking this class and please bring your manual to the class.
Tea, coffee and cake will be provided.
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine and sewing manual
- 1m of none directional quilting cotton and a colour matched thread
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, dressmaking scissors and machine needles for your own machine.
- If you have a rotary cutter and quilting ruler, please feel free to bring them along too.
- Full tuition
- Lots of Worksheets for you to take home
- Calico to practice on
- Pattern with step by step instructions and detailed photos
- 1/2 metre Single sided fusiable fleece
Skills needed - This course is suitable for complete beginners who have never used a sewing machine before or need more confidence.
Workshop Times - 10.00am - 3pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - 4 Places available (we keep this workshop small to ensure that everyone is fully supported)
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
Plenty of FREE parking available.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01782 610 241