Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone completes a Shift Dress dress in your size from a commercial pattern.
At Hollies Haberdashery it is important to us that you make your garment in a size to fit you. There is zero point in making a garment in a size from a pattern that won't fit you just because you don't fall within the designers measurements. We pride ourselves on spending the morning looking at your measurements, ease within the pattern and make adjustments to the pattern if needed either by grading between sizes or re drafting the pattern if required. (If you are worried about falling outside of the pattern measurements and would like to talk to us before you book please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject Workshop so we can talk you though our process - don't worry its our mission to make sewing accessible to all!)
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone gets a good introduction to the basic features of their sewing machine - the class size is kept deliberately small so that everyone will get lots of time and attention.
Here’s what we’ll cover on the day:
- The different parts and features of your sewing machine
- Using a sewing machine safely
- Filling and using a bobbin
- Threading your machine correctly
- Using the presser foot and feed dogs
- Changing the machine needle safely – with information about different needle sizes
- Getting the tension right and adjusting stitch length
- Sewing with straight and zig-zag stitch
- An introduction to measuring and cutting fabric safely using rotary cutters, cutting mats and rulers
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine, any accessory's that come with it and the sewing manual if you have it.
- 1m of none directional quilting cotton and a colour matched thread
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, tape measure, pencil, dressmaking and paper scissors and machine needles for your own machine suitable for your fabric choice.
- If you have a rotary cutter and quilting ruler, please feel free to bring them along too.
- Full tuition and use of the workshop facilities.
- Calico Fabric to practice on in the morning.
- Commercial sewing pattern for you to work from and take home along with a full colour instruction booklet so that you can confidently make another folder at home worth £8.00
- 1/2 metre single sided fusiable fleece used to make the folder in the afternoon.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied throughout the day.
With the focus on learning by doing, you will make an A4 fabric pocket pouch, giving you a great sense of achievement and the basic skills to move on to your next sewing adventure. You’ll also receive lots of resources to take home with you and bags of confidence for the future projects.
If you are not sure what fabric you need we are happy to help you select some from our extensive range.
Skills needed - This course is suitable for absolute for beginners who have never used a machine before.
Workshop Times - 9am - 2pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - Due to COVID restrictions the number permitted in this session has been reduced to 4.
COVID - To comply with COVID safe measures all workshop sessions have a maximum capacity of 4 people per session in all sessions that require people to move around or 6 when the whole session is seated such a knitting or crochet.
There will be hand sanitiser supplied on each desk for your own use during the workshop and disinfectant available by the irons. The workshop lead will also be completing a lateral flow COVID test prior to the start of the workshop and there will be plenty available should you also wish to take a test for added piece of mind.
We have implemented extra measures to keep you safe during your time with us. We have installed a paper towel dispenser within the washrooms to help limit any cross spreading. We have also removed the cake usually supplied within each session and replaced this with individual sealed biscuits.
We have also removed any extra items from the sewing rooms that we usually provide for your convenience so please do make sure you have your scissors, pins and tape measures with you.
For both ours and your safety you MUST wear a mask throughout your session unless you are eating your lunch. There is no exception to this. If you have any concerns please email at your earliest convince with the subject title COVID to email@example.com and the workshop lead Sarah will be in contact as soon as she is able.
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
There is FREE parking available within the barracks, visitors parking bays are clearly marked with a V please ensure that you are not parking in any of the numbered bays as these are for permit holders.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01782 610 241
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.