Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone completes a jersey dress in your size from a commercial pattern.
At Hollies Haberdashery it is important to us that you make your garment in a size to fit you. There is zero point in making a garment in a size from a pattern that won't fit you just because you don't fall within the designers measurements. We pride ourselves on spending the morning looking at your measurements, ease within the pattern and make adjustments to the pattern if needed either by grading between sizes or re drafting the pattern if required. (If you are worried about falling outside of the pattern measurements and would like to talk to us before you book please contact us on email@example.com using the subject Workshop so we can talk you though our process - don't worry its our mission to make sewing accessible to all!)
Here’s what we’ll cover on the day:
- How to measure yourself correctly.
- How to read, understand and cut out a pattern.
- How to alter your pattern to fit you either by re drafting or grading between sizes if applicable.
- How to select and cut the correct fabric for your project
- How to handle jersey confidently
- How to get your machine tension correct for sewing jersey fabrics
- How to stabilise jersey seams
- How to attach pockets if you wish
- How to finish seams and hem your dress / top
- How to use a twin needle to give your garment a professional finish is you wish
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided throughout however as this is a full day course we would recommend that you bring some lunch with you.
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine (or you can hire one of ours for £5 please let us know in the comments when booking if you need one).
- 2 metres of cotton fabric 60'' wide or 2.7 metres of fabric 45'' wide to construct your dress. Your fabric must be a medium stretch fabric such as interlock knit, double knit and ponte di roma, we can help with your fabric selection from our range in store.
- Matching thread
- Twin needle if you would like to master a twin needle whilst you are in class
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, tape measure, pencil, dressmaking and paper scissors and machine needles for your own machine suitable for your fabric choice.
Whats included in the price of the workshop?
- Full tuition and use of the workshop facilities.
- Pattern for you to work from and take home so that you can confidently make another one at home.
- Seam tape interfacing
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied throughout the day.
We are very happy to help with your fabric choices – just come to the shop before your workshop day and we will be pleased to assist.
Skills needed - This course is suitable for beginners who can thread a sewing machine, wind a bobbin and sew in a line.
Workshop Times - 9am - 4pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - Due to COVID restrictions the number permitted in this session has been reduced to 4.
COVID - To comply with COVID safe measures all workshop sessions have a maximum capacity of 4 people per session in all sessions that require people to move around or 6 when the whole session is seated such a knitting or crochet.
There will be hand sanitiser supplied on each desk for your own use during the workshop and disinfectant available by the irons. The workshop lead will also be completing a lateral flow COVID test prior to the start of the workshop and there will be plenty available should you also wish to take a test for added piece of mind.
We have implemented extra measures to keep you safe during your time with us. We have installed a paper towel dispenser within the washrooms to help limit any cross spreading. We have also removed the cake usually supplied within each session and replaced this with individual sealed biscuits.
We have also removed any extra items from the sewing rooms that we usually provide for your convenience so please do make sure you have your scissors, pins and tape measures with you.
For both ours and your safety you MUST wear a mask throughout your session unless you are eating your lunch. There is no exception to this. If you have any concerns please email at your earliest convince with the subject title COVID to firstname.lastname@example.org and the workshop lead Sarah will be in contact as soon as she is able.
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
There is FREE parking available within the barracks, visitors parking bays are clearly marked with a V please ensure that you are not parking in any of the numbered bays as these are for permit holders.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email email@example.com or phone us on 01782 610 241
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.