Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone completes a quilt as you go table runner either with or without Christmas fabric.
Here’s what we’ll cover on the day:
- Buying suitable fabrics for patchwork and an introduction to selecting colours and prints
- Learning how to cut fabric units for patchwork safely and accurately using a rotary cutter and cutting mat and quilting rulers
- An introduction to quilt as you go
- How to make a quilt sandwich
- An introduction to the basics of quilting
- An introduction to the different batting/wadding options
- How to make quilt binding and attach this to your quilt.
As well as going home with your table runner, you’ll also have loads of confidence for your next patchwork project.
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine (or you can hire one of ours for £5 please let us know in the comments when booking if you need one).
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, tape measure, pencil, dressmaking and paper scissors and machine needles for your own machine suitable for your fabric choice.
- 7 fat quarters or less if you don't want as much fabric variety as the table runner shown. ( I have used 7 fat quarts in mine - I used one of our scandi fat quarter bundles)
- 1 metre of fabric for the back of the table runner and binding - I recommend that this is a busy print.
- Matching thread
- Rotary Cutter and long quilting ruler
Whats included in the price of the workshop?
- Full tuition and use of the workshop facilities.
- 505 spray to use in the classroom to baste your quilt together
- quit as you go wadding pack
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied throughout the day.
We are very happy to help with your fabric choices – just come to the shop before your workshop day and we will be pleased to assist.
Skills needed - This course is suitable for beginners who can thread a sewing machine, wind a bobbin and sew in a line.
Workshop Times - 9am - 4pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - Due to COVID restrictions the number permitted in this session has been reduced to 4.
COVID - To comply with COVID safe measures all workshop sessions have a maximum capacity of 4 people per session in all sessions that require people to move around or 6 when the whole session is seated such a knitting or crochet.
There will be hand sanitiser supplied on each desk for your own use during the workshop and disinfectant available by the irons. The workshop lead will also be completing a lateral flow COVID test prior to the start of the workshop and there will be plenty available should you also wish to take a test for added piece of mind.
We have implemented extra measures to keep you safe during your time with us. We have installed a paper towel dispenser within the washrooms to help limit any cross spreading. We have also removed the cake usually supplied within each session and replaced this with individual sealed biscuits.
We have also removed any extra items from the sewing rooms that we usually provide for your convenience so please do make sure you have your scissors, pins and tape measures with you.
For both ours and your safety you MUST wear a mask throughout your session unless you are eating your lunch. There is no exception to this. If you have any concerns please email at your earliest convince with the subject title COVID to firstname.lastname@example.org and the workshop lead Sarah will be in contact as soon as she is able.
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
There is FREE parking available within the barracks, visitors parking bays are clearly marked with a V please ensure that you are not parking in any of the numbered bays as these are for permit holders.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email email@example.com or phone us on 01782 610 241
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.