Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll ensure that everyone gets a good introduction to the basic features of their sewing machine - the class size is kept deliberately small so that everyone will get lots of time and attention.
Here’s what we’ll cover on the day:
- The different parts and features of your sewing machine
- Using a sewing machine safely
- Filling and using a bobbin
- Threading your machine correctly
- Using the presser foot and feed dogs
- Changing the machine needle safely – with information about different needle sizes
- Getting the tension right and adjusting stitch length
- Sewing with straight and zig-zag stitch
- An introduction to measuring and cutting fabric safely using rotary cutters, cutting mats and rulers
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine, any accessory's that come with it and the sewing manual if you have it.
- 1m of none directional quilting cotton and a colour matched thread
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, tape measure, pencil, dressmaking and paper scissors and machine needles for your own machine suitable for your fabric choice.
- 1/2 metre single sided fusible fleece; H630 used to make the folder.
- If you have a rotary cutter and quilting ruler, please feel free to bring them along too.
- Full tuition and use of the workshop facilities.
- Calico Fabric to practice on in the morning.
- Commercial sewing pattern for you to work from and take home along with a full colour instruction booklet so that you can confidently make another folder at home worth £8.00
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied throughout the day.
With the focus on learning by doing, you will make an A4 fabric pocket pouch, giving you a great sense of achievement and the basic skills to move on to your next sewing adventure. You’ll also receive lots of resources to take home with you and bags of confidence for the future projects.
If you are not sure what fabric you need we are happy to help you select some from our extensive range.
Skills needed - This course is suitable for absolute for beginners who have never used a machine before.
Workshop Times - 10am - 1.30pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - Due to COVID restrictions the number permitted in this session has been reduced to 4.
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
There is FREE parking available within the barracks, visitors parking bays are clearly marked with a V please ensure that you are not parking in any of the numbered bays as these are for permit holders.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01782 610 241