Come and join us for our modern, fun sewing classes at Hollies Haberdashery!
The atmosphere will be supportive and encouraging with the emphasis on relaxed learning.
During this class, we’ll aim to ensure that everyone gets a good introduction to some of the basic skills of patchwork and quilting. With the focus on learning by doing, you will make a quilt made from 5'' squares, which we will then make into a lap quilt - sample in the shop for you to view.
Here’s what we’ll cover in the class:
- Buying suitable fabrics for patchwork and an introduction to selecting colours and prints
- Learning how to cut fabric units for patchwork safely and accurately using a rotary cutter and cutting mat and quilting rulers
- An introduction to the basics of quilting
- An introduction to the basics of patchwork – varieties of quilt blocks, joining units accurately, pressing seams etc.
- Tips on how to achieve the perfect points
- How to make a quilt sandwich
- How to quilt your quilt
- How to square up your quilt
- How to make quilt binding and attach this to your quilt.
As well as going home with your lap quilt, you’ll also have loads of confidence for your next patchwork project.
You will need to bring the following supplies to the class:
- Your sewing machine (or you can hire one of ours for £5 please let us know in the comments when booking if you need one).
- Fabrics; 2 x charm pack of pre cut 5'' squares or a selection on fabrics to be cut into 80 x 5'' squares.
- If you have a rotary cutter we can cut these in class from your fabrics - a fat quarter bundle should be enough. Alternatively if you don't have a rotary cutter or don't want to cut your own fabrics we have a great selection of pre cut 5'' charm packs
- 1.25 metres of fabric for the back of your quilt
- 0.50 metres of fabric for your quilt binding
- A quarter inch foot if you have one for your machine
- Matching thread
- Rotary Cutter and long quilting ruler
- Basic sewing kit, including thread, pins, tape measure, pencil, dressmaking and paper scissors and machine needles for your own machine suitable for your fabric choice.
Whats included in the price of the workshop?
- Full tuition and use of the workshop facilities.
- 505 spray to use in the classroom to baste your quilt together
- Tea, coffee and biscuits supplied throughout the day.
We are very happy to help with your fabric choices – just come to the shop before your workshop day and we will be pleased to assist.
Skills needed - This course is suitable for beginners who can thread a sewing machine, wind a bobbin and sew in a line.
Workshop Times - 9am - 4pm
Tutor - Sarah
Availability - This class will take no more than four students to ensure that you all get time with the tutor.
Workshops Location - Hollies Haberdashery, 19 Barracks Court, Barracks Road, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 1LG
There is FREE parking available within the barracks, visitors parking bays are clearly marked with a V please ensure that you are not parking in any of the numbered bays as these are for permit holders.
Have any questions?
Pop us an email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01782 610 241
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.